Sunday 29 April 2012

More encouragement please?

Do you find yourself waiting for someone, sometimes anyone, to give you the encouragement or approval you feel you need to keep going?  This has been on my heart lately and I'm seeing it more and more in myself and others the more I look.  I made a picture for my daughters room and spent a bit of time on it cutting out felt birds and making it look just so.  The first thing I wanted was for my husband to see it and say how good it looked.  Which he did.  In a man way which never has quite the enthusiasm I'd like but never the less he gave his approval and it made me pleased with my effort.  We had friends over on the wednesday and I was also happy when my girlfriend asked if I had made it and gave me her praise that I'd done a good job.  My inlaws stayed over  the weekend and I'd navigated the way into the bedroom to maybe get some notice but nothing was said.  How easy for me to get offended.  Had they even seen it?  Probably not.  But satan was getting in my head saying 'they don't like you, you're not very special, your cooking must be bad too because they didn't comment on it....bla bla bla.  Is it really that important to hear others approval?  We should know that if we rely on others to say the right thing we are going to live a life of disappointment.  Having self worth is important, so is not listening to satan's discouragement.  I know that my inlaws love me, I know they enjoy my cooking and I could really waste precious energy beating myself up about something that doesn't even exist.  If we know that God is for us then it shouldn't matter what others say or what they think of us.  Romans 8 v 31 If God is for us, who can be against us?  Psalm 118 It is better to trust and take refuge in the Lord than to put confidence in man.  The bible is full of learning gems telling us not to put our hopes on man but to hope on and trust in God.  Don't be discouraged when the words you want to hear don't come through for you from others. Remember that God's always with you cheering you on, so look to him for your every need. Also be the one that encourages others, you never know how badly they need to hear how great they look or well they're doing.  Be a blessing to those around you and you will be blessed in return.

1 comment:

  1. wow Shona that was awesome! Thanks for sharing I needed it today too! xo

    ReplyDelete