Tuesday 22 April 2014

The Best Surprise! Happy 70th Dad

I'm sitting here at my desk and to my left is the funniest picture of my family.  It was taken at my Dad's 70th.  Myself and my eldest sister can barely hold ourselves up from laughing so hard,  whilst my middle sister is looking radiant (she always takes good photos).  Dad is the happiest I've ever seen him.  You see, behind the scenes my sisters, step mum and I had planned this whole surprise for Dads 70th and we pulled it off so well, he honestly had no idea we were coming.  My eldest sister and I decided to leave our families in Australia for the weekend and venture over to New Zealand without Dad knowing.  At first we could not find the perfect flights that weren't going to cost the earth to get there.  We searched for days and the tickets kept getting more and more expensive.  I had all but given up when I said to God "Do you want me to go over there or not?"  And he whispers in my heart, "Do you want to go?"  I thought about it and I said very honestly "Yes."  He then says to me "Jetabroad, go and look now."  I argued on my way to the computer with him because I'd already looked on that sight and there was nothing.  You shouldn't argue with God if you don't like losing because he is always right.  There in front of me were the perfect flights and the cheapest price yet.  We booked straight away and took on the rest of the day over excited, jumping around, "I can't believe we're doing this!"  I went back on the site to check about baggage and it was completely gone. Very mysterious, I like that:)
Everything from then on was perfect.  Organising our children and all that mum stuff and then to sit on the plane with a hot cross bun and a magazine and……freedom!!!  It was amazing to say the least.  Our step mum meeting us, the wind and the smell of cow poo, the supermarket stop off and then SURPRISE!!! I've never seen Dad so lost for words.  We really blessed him, it still makes me smile when I think about it.  Hence I keep that hilarious photo on my desk.  Our other sister who lives in NZ came through and it was the first time we've all been together, with no children or husbands for probably 20 years?  Every moment we were there was fantastic, even the rainy day.
Before our flight home we caught up with Mum's family which was extra special.  But the icing on the cake was the flight home.  We caught our first flight ok but it was running 10 mins late and it subsequently made us too late to board our next flight home.  Quietly, we were freaking out.  I said to God, "but you gave us those tickets?  Why would you set us up to miss our main flight home?"  No, I thought God doesn't do that.  He must have something up his sleeve.   I pleaded with the man behind the counter and he offered his help.  Actually he was amazing.  He took us over to the desk we needed to be at and left us with a kind lady.  She couldn't get us another flight until the next day.  When the first gentleman came over to check we were ok he happened to see a lady he knew who might just be able to help us out.  The same airline that had said no they had no seats left, and here we are speaking to the lady in charge and she said yes.  They had two seats left.  
Phew, we were on our way home and we really didn't care who we were flying with we just wanted to get back.  As we were walking through the airport God reminded me of how I really wanted to have burger king.  (I know its a strange request)  And there before me like a choir of singing angels stood burger king.  I laughed. Aloud.  A lot.  Because we no longer had to rush we had plenty of time to shop, eat and even have fun with some makeup.  It was awesome.
As we walked up to board our plane and handed our tickets over, the air hostess points us up the stairs, "Good evening Mrs Horton, you're upstairs in business."
AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  Keep cool, look like you've done this a thousand times before, I was telling myself.  We sat down in absolute awe of what out Heavenly father had just done for us.  It was like, "Well girls, you stepped out in faith to surprise your earthly Dad and now your heavenly Dad wants to surprise you."
So blessed. It was the best flight, to top off the best weekend.
I hope your next holiday will be this successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment